Sunday, July 1, 2012

Meditation log 07/01/12

First day of the second half of the year.

8:45 am  75 minutes seated meditation, attempting Kenneth Folk's "second gear" practice: dwelling in the Witness. This was inspired by reading last night Thomas Sterner's small book, "The Practicing Mind", where he recommends the same practice, but couches it in different terms (he calls the Witness "the Observer"). I enjoyed the practice and thought that I sort of got it. After a few minutes of practice I took a break to re-read the info on Kenneth's website about the practice. One writer summed it up by saying "Look for what remains constant in your experience at all moments", and Kenneth said "well said" or something like that, so I kept that in mind.

If one can observe the Witness, then who is it that's doing the observing? Also, if the Witness is a set of sensations that can be observed, how can it also be "I"? Perhaps these questions hint at the inevitable demise of the illusion of self.

Later in the morning when I was at Zarina's parents' house, I continued practicing this and felt a greater ease and enjoyment than I typically would in such a situation. I especially enjoyed seeing the surface of Lake Washington from their window.

Drank green tea w/caffeine, then had very enjoyable lunch with spiritual friends Mary Peterson, Tempel Smith, Pavitra, and Zarina.

6:30 pm 40 minutes seated dwelling in the Witness. Concentration was less strong and I felt less confident in my practice than this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment