Friday, July 20, 2012

Meditating in the presence of distraction

A friend and blog follower asked how I meditate on the bus. "How do you let go enough but still be aware of when to get off, not worry about someone stealing your stuff, shutting out all the noise of the city, etc.?"

Meditation on the bus does not allow me to go as deep as meditation in a more pristine environment. If I am doing insight practice, such as noting, I am not able to observe phenomena in as fine detail. If I am doing a concentration practice, I do not become as deeply absorbed in my object of concentration.

It is not necessary to shut out the noise of the city. This noise just becomes part of the phenomena observed. I don't worry about people stealing my stuff; I just hold onto it. On the other hand, thinking about when to get off is indeed a distraction. Another distraction is the need to respond physically to the motion of the bus as it turns, accelerates, and decelerates.

The main reason I meditate on the bus, or anywhere in the midst of daily life, is that it is better than letting the mind wander in an undisciplined fashion. It is training the mind to pay attention, and un-training the mind to wander. When I have something specific to think about on the bus, such as a work problem, or scheduling, I will do that instead of meditating. It's remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment