Friday, August 10, 2012

Remembering what happened during meditation

Another question from a reader: "How can you remember all the details you write about?  You meditate for an hour and then go on to describe all the sensations."

In general, I have a good short-term memory for the details of my experience. Throughout my life I've been able to write vividly about my experiences. I do find with meditation that the details tend to slip out of my memory very quickly. Not quite as quickly as the details of a dream, but almost. I think this is because the meditative experience is so different from ordinary (for lack of a better word) experience. So sometimes during meditation I make a mental gesture to imprint some aspect of my experience upon my memory. This is a distraction from the meditation, though, so I don't do it often. As a result, my accounts of my meditation experiences are much less detailed and vivid than they would be if I could somehow record them as they are happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment