Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Re-entry from long retreat 7.5 months ago

While I was at the Forest Refuge during September and October of 2011, I broke a lot of habits, both physical and mental, and adopted some new ones. I'd hoped to retain most of this post-retreat. Some of the habits I'd broken re-appeared within a few weeks, like biting my lower lip from stress. Others re-appeared after more weeks: habitual multi-tasking, compulsive checking of email, compulsive eating to relieve stress.

Others seemed like maybe they'd gone away long-term. But some of those have come back recently. In particular, I once again read the newspaper mindlessly while eating. Especially Ask Amy.

I'm aware of a few things that are still different from pre-retreat. Emotions still pass through my body very fluidly and physically. This has actually continued to increase over the months. I still feel kind of like my body is in some kind of energy field; my head often feels like it's rocking/floating in a viscous fluid. I drink alcohol a bit less and socialize a bit less.

Of course, the big habit that's still different from pre-retreat is my meditation habit. I'm a much more dedicated and consistent meditator. I wonder how long that will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment