Sunday, June 24, 2012

Meditation log 06/24/12

6:30 am  40 minutes metta. I felt like I really needed the soothingness of this. Instead of forcefully casting aside thoughts and sensations other than my object of meditation (metta), I gently noted each one and gently returned to metta. This is not brand new; I've been experimenting with this in recent months. But it's a significant shift from how I did concentration practice for 2.2 years, starting from when I first started concentration practice with Tina & Stephen in August 2009 until last fall. My mind gathered rather quickly this morning and easily accessed a rich, comforting, pleasurable feeling of metta. But difficult sensations in the right torso competed for my attention. It continues to seem that I am afraid of pleasure.

Afterward, resisted and procrastinated getting ready to go orienteering.

Had a very enjoyable day. Picked up Grandpa Franz, went to the Issaquah Street Scramble, had lunch with Franz and Margie at the Hearthstone, and hung out with El for 90 minutes at her house. Before arriving at El's, I was tense in anticipation of being with her. I spent some minutes giving gentle attention to the tension. It didn't seem to dissipate, but I felt glad to do it. Then I surprised myself by being very at ease and ebullient with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment