Saturday, October 20, 2012

Log 10/20/12

7:15 am 90 minutes seated insight meditation. Having looked at Dan Ingram's book last night, I was curious to try meditating with a more narrow focus. One thing he suggested that intrigued me was to look at the sensations of craving. This was intriguing because I've been so aware of craving lately. First I tried looking at all the various craving sensations: in the arms, shoulders, hands, chest, and brain area. At times I could also feel it in the legs. But this seemed scattered; I didn't know where to rest my attention. So then I focused on the brain area for some time. That was unsatisfying as well ... I couldn't distinguish the different sensations ... just noticed pulsing, pressure, and tingling. I noted these things only occasionally. Mostly I was trying to see them more distinctly. When other perceptions caught my attention, I did note them (rocking, pulsing elsewhere in the body, hearing). Finally, I decided to notice the sensations of craving wherever they were most predominant. This seemed to mostly be in the arms: tingling. From time to time I noticed worry (that my practice was incorrect).

11:49 pm Sitting here reading stuff on the internet about pragmatic dharma, I feel a growing sense of pleasure, perhaps similar to what I feel after several days of concentration practice. Breathing brings pleasure. Very pleasant day today: sold my car, met with Beth, hung out with Zarina, made dinner, and enjoyed dinner with four lovely people.

No comments:

Post a Comment