Sunday, October 7, 2012

Interrupting a cascade of unpleasant body/mind states

A few days ago I re-read some of my journal from my long retreat one year ago. I reminded myself of one of the insights I'd been so excited about: that certain conditions (making a choice, taking action, feeling pleasure) trigger particular negative thoughts, which then trigger tension in my right throat, which in turn leads to a proliferation of negative thoughts and a constant search for danger. At the time, I thought that if only I could notice when this tension appears, pause, and release it, I could avoid much suffering. But I feared that the fast pace of everyday life -- even when everyday life is relatively calm -- would make this infeasible. Turns out that this was correct. During the weeks after I returned from retreat, I experienced great frustration and despair as I lost the ability to interrupt this chain of events.

Today, during porch-painting and my walk home, I paused every once in a while to release the right throat tension. This is a practice I'd pretty much given up last December, partly because eventually I found that I usually couldn't release it willfully. Today (and yesterday, also), I found that I could release it at will. Perhaps this is partly due to the slow-down from my retreat which ended one week ago. It is very pleasant to release this tension; it brings such a sense of ease. However, today I found that as soon as took a single step with my feet, whether to apply paint or to move myself down the street, the right throat tensed again. A few times I really slowed it down, and noticed that, actually, the right abdomen tenses first, then the throat. And that if I put my attention on the right abdomen, the right throat stays mostly relaxed, and the thought-proliferation and search for danger can be somewhat averted. This may be something I observed last year; can't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment