Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pragmatic dharma

Over the past two weeks I had introductory interviews with three "pragmatic dharma" teachers, all students of Kenneth Folk. They all teach noting practice in the tradition of Mahasi Sayadaw as an efficient method for freeing oneself of the illusion of "self". I'm experiencing great ambivalence about working with any of these teachers. They are all relatively inexperienced, each having taught for about a year so far. I think of them as coaches, rather than teachers, especially because they (for the most part) focus on a single set of techniques. I feel very drawn to the pragmatic approach and to the possibility of freedom from sense of self.

While I am deciding whether to establish regular meetings with one of these teachers, I decided to embark upon the diligent practice of noting, and of logging my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment