Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Notes from recent practice

This post has more unexplained jargon than usual. All terminology is explained in Ingram's Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha.

I hope I am on my way to 2nd path, now that the frequency and regularity of my Vipassana practice has increased.

Was doubting that I'd attained first path. Then out of the blue had a fruition during a recent sit. Or at least I had something that Kenneth Folk said was a fruition back in the weeks after first path when I was having them a lot. Something like sleepiness, then something like falling asleep for just a second. Then a bliss wave.

I want another one so I can pay more attention to it. Several more!

Last night I was meditating -- noting, actually -- in my sleep. For hours. Don't know what that's about. It wasn't as vivid as it was during my first time through the A&P. I don't think it's my second time through the A&P because I seemed to go through that in August 2012, the couple of days right before orienteering in Laramie. I should be past the 2nd A&P.

In recent weeks I have been paying more attention to the nanas as I pass through then during each sitting and I am finally getting a feel for them. States that I'd formerly thought of as bad meditation I now see as nanas and not bad at all. In particular, Dissolution, where one sees mainly the endings of things - I find it hard to note during that nana and had previously thought it was poor concentration. It's just the 5th nana. I especially enjoy the 8th (?) nana, Desire for Deliverance. Before I knew how to recognize it, it's description made it sound quite unpleasant. But it's amazing to be so clear that samsara is undesirable,  so wonderful to know with certainty that letting go is the absolute right thing to do. Finally, the 10th nana, Equanimity, can have poor concentration and that's just a feature of that nana that one has to be wary of.

No comments:

Post a Comment