Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Assessing spiritual development

A few years ago, while on a long road trip with my partner Eric, Eric challenged me thusly: How can you know that your meditation, psychotherapy, and other inner work is working? At first I bristled at the question, but then I developed a self-assessment questionnaire that I could complete annually. The questions measure how well I've been paying attention, how reactive I've been, how honest I've been, my anxiety level, and self-centeredness vs. other-centeredness. This questionnaire is tailored to me, but it could inspire others to create their own.

I did not actually complete the questionnaire until last week. I did notice, however, that my answers to some of the questions indicated progress since I'd devised the questionnaire. I look forward to completing this periodically.

Here are my questions:

  1. Describe the eye colors of 6 people you've spoken with recently.
  2. What is the phase of the moon?
  3. How many times in the past week have you ranted at someone?
  4. What was your anxiety level when you woke up this morning?
  5. Name the five most significant people in your life. Describe what is important to them. What is currently "up" for them? How hard did you have to think to answer these questions?
  6. What was the last lie you told? Why did you tell it?
  7. What was the last time you gave a gift? Describe your motivation.
  8. What was your response the last time someone expressed anger toward you?
  9. Describe your last sexual experience.
  10. What is your anxiety level when you pass a stranger on the street? How strong and immediate is your compulsion to judge that person?
  11. How depleted did you feel upon coming home from work the most recent work day? Averaged over recent days?
  12. Are you scared when Eric exclaims out of the blue?
  13. How sad does listening to wailing popular songs make you?
  14. How do you feel about interacting with teenagers?
  15. How anxious are you about your financial investments?
  16. How are you feeling and thinking today?
  17. Have you had caffeine?
  18. Did you sleep well?
  19. Any unusual & impactful recent events?
  20. How is your excercise/meditation regime?

No comments:

Post a Comment