Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Facebook urge

Multiple times each work day, I feel compelled to check email or Facebook. If I am absorbed in a project, usually writing or coding, I generally don't feel this urge. But when I'm not absorbed, when the path forward is not clear, when I need to organize my thoughts or set priorities or start a new project or remember an old one, the urge is frequent.

Lately I've been looking at the feeling behind the urge, instead of acting on the urge. There's something big and strong there. It might be a strong desire to keep going, to move forward, to make progress.

It seems I am able to face this big, strong desire because of my new habit of opening my body to anger, discussed in an earlier post. Today during my bike commute I explored the transition between opening and closing to anger. The closing gesture involves ceasing belly breathing and creating tension in my neck and throat, especially the right side.When I really want to close, I tense parts of my right torso, including a muscle at the side waist, the shoulder (raising the shoulder slightly), and something in the right mid-back.

No comments:

Post a Comment