Sunday, March 17, 2019

An error in logic that diminishes joy

I experience ease and/or joy associated with a mundane experience, such as sitting in the sun preparing my federal tax return.

A thought arises: I shouldn't be relaxing into ease via mundane activities. I should be spending my time in more spiritual ways. Either flat-out spiritual practice, such as meditation, inquiry or inner child work, or being quietly mindful of the present moment (vs. engaged in a mental activity)

If I'm lucky, another thought arises: Wait a sec! Ease and joy in everyday life is the entire object of the spiritual path! Dampening those experiences with self-chastisement is not the way to go! Au contraire, I could go for self-satisfaction: isn't ease and joy in everyday life in part a product of my path?

No comments:

Post a Comment