Thursday, August 6, 2015

Modern superstition

Modern superstition: measuring my waist first thing after getting out of bed this morning to make sure it is smaller than the magical number of 35 inches that my wellness coach told me yesterday was maximum for good health.

I used to think I was not superstitious because I didn't care about black cats crossing my path and so forth. Now I see more and more irrational  little things I do throughout each day to give  me a feeling of safety.

Other examples:

Training to do the yoga pose called wheel because Jacob's 75 year old mother can do it. (Unless I can do it also, I think, I am unlikely to be as healthy as she when I am her age)

Practicing arising from sitting on the floor without touching knees or hands to the floor, because ability to do so correlates with longevity.

Wanting to follow the instructions of my doctor and of my meditation teacher exactly. Feeling relief when I do.

I think health and fitness practices are a big area for modern day superstition in the West.

No comments:

Post a Comment