Thursday, September 18, 2014

Shadow side of inner work

A subtle shadow side of the inner work I have been doing:

I have become highly sensitive to my own reactions. For example: years ago, when Eric would get into bed with me, I would unconsciously and habitually use various physical and mental actions to shield myself from the underlying reaction of terror. I am not sure what those actions were, but perhaps something like this: I might tense my body, compulsively reach my arms out to Eric, remind myself that Eric is not a threat, review my beliefs that I must act loving and receptive in order to survive, initiate conversation to distract myself. I did not realize I had an underlying reaction of terror and I did not realize that my actions were designed to shield me.

Now I don't do any of those shielding actions. Instead, I feel terror. And don't know what to do about it. This is something that Eric has had to adapt to.

No comments:

Post a Comment